Wednesday, December 24, 2014

But first...

If I come across too strong and give the impression of intimidation
Before your words rebuke, remember to
build me up.

When I speak words of hate, with rage in my voice
Before your words destroy me, instead please try to
build me up.

If I make a mistake, that affects those around me
Before your words light up my flaws, I beg you to first
build me up.

Lately I've been thinking about people in my life and the ones whose words have made the biggest impact on me and the way that I live. I came up with a list of people who always and I mean always make deposits into my love tank. People who do their best to make me the best person that I can be. Whether that's by giving me a compliment, sitting down and talking with me, sharing words of encouragement, praying with me or giving me feedback.

Notice that feedback is at the end of this rich list. The reason for that is, because I feel like I finally understand that it's when someone truly loves you and not just with words but with actions as well that you're able to take the things that they say, that are meant for your good and apply them to your life.

This is the way that I want to live my life. I don't want to be the person walking around with a magnifying glass, looking for the flaws of those around me. Instead I want to show love and kindness to everyone that I encounter, leaving them better than how I found them so that my words always build them up and never destroy them. I want to always be someone that's fighting next to the people I love, not the person they're defending themselves from.


"Better than a thousand useless words is one word that gives peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment